You All Find Yourselves In A Tavern - Tervarus D&d

Discussion in 'The Fungal Muck Inn' started by TheHauntedTopHat, Jan 24, 2018.

1. TheHauntedTopHat

TheHauntedTopHat Artisan

The Year is 7872, and the land seems more wild than ever. What took centuries to build was toppled in a matter of years as the Raknar swarmed all of TerVarus. All that remains of the great Human kingdoms are small villages, hidden in the wilderness with obscurity as their only shield. The terrible majesty of dragonkind has dwindled as the remaining old ones have retreated into the mountains, and even the seemingly unstoppable advance of the Raknar has bled out. With the collapse of their great hives, the new race is scattered across the land, left with nothing more than their nests and their lives.

This is where our story begins. How it continues is left to a new generation of heroes, and the dice they roll. Here’s my proposal: while awaiting the eventual glorious commencement of ToA: Exile’s early access phase, let’s play some Dungeons and Dragons set on TerVarus. We’ll need to adapt some rules to fit the setting and the design-philosophy of the game, but I see no better way to enjoy the game before it releases. The homebrew rules would allow one to play as a human, dragon, or Raknar, and accommodate the simulationist, low-magic nature of the game and its setting. If y’all are interested, I’d happily write a homebrew document for the game, and act as the GM. Since this is an international community, we all live quite far away from each other, but this kind of barrier is easily overcome with the power of Skype / Google Hangouts and an RPG program such as Roll20.

I imagine the roleplay taking place in three phases. We’ll start with a character creation phase, in which the players will pick one of TerVarus’ races, determine their origins, and their place in the world at the start of 7872. Each character will start at first level, and carries little influence. Players that wish to work together, as I imagine some human / Raknar players may want to do, can form groups. During the second phase, each group will have a private session with the GM. This session spans an in-game year, and the group will describe what they try to achieve within the allotted time. During the session, the GM will take the players through several specific points in time to determine the outcome of their endeavours. At the end of phase two, all players will have grown in power considerably; humans may have built a well-fortified settlement, dragons will have grown significantly, and Raknar may have amassed a terrible horde. All players will be given some information about the other groups, and left to plot out their endeavours for a second session. For this session, the GM will look for ways to let the groups interact with each other. Perhaps the efforts of the players during phase two, or their plans for the future, will naturally result in conflict or cooperation with other players. If not, the GM will devise a shift in circumstances that forces the groups towards each other. With this preparation completed, the third phase will commence. All players will get together with the GM on Roll20 for the second session, which will mark the end for this project. We can always see about follow-up sessions if it turns out to be a success. :D

So, anyone interested? Any suggestions? I'm curious what y'all think!

2. Iauquai

Iauquai Master

Sounds good to me, I do like Roll20 for that, I have played on it before. I guess since magic is not implemented yet, I would go with a Dragon.

3. BowenTheKotoc

BowenTheKotoc Master

Color me intrigued. I, too, would like to be a dragon. It will be interesting to see what kind of racial mix we get here, though. If everyone wants to be a dragon, then I'd be willing to roll Raknar. If we get dragons and raknar with no humans, then I'll represent the human race.

Iauquai likes this.
  4. Bruxail

Bruxail Master

Sounds interesting to me as well. I want to play a human.

Iauquai likes this.
  5. Iauquai

Iauquai Master

Maybe we can get to the corner and see whats there :)

6. Jeremy@AmidsTheLight

Jeremy@AmidsTheLight Artisan

I'm completely interested as I've been wanting to take part in something like this since I joined this forum.

Also I am working on an entire Amino devoted to creating a strictly role-playing community within TerVarus using The Burning Wheel instead of D&D. I'd like to work a bit more on it before I post it on here, but it is almost ready.

...actually I can't wait lol. You guys can at least get a feel for it.

http://aminoapps.com/c/TrialsOfAscensi

I'm not trying to take away this D&D experience here @TheHauntedTopHat . I'd like to very much join this as well.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018