1. Welcome to the Trials of Ascension: Exile forums. Due to spam and troll issues all first time posts are moderated so if your post does not show up immediately, this is normal. Please allow some time for your post to be verified to determine that it is not spam, possibly up to 24 hours. If your post has not shown up after 24 hours please send a personal message to our Community Manager, Elyssia.

Really Glad After Backing So Much I'm Allowed To Play The Game. Oh Wait

Discussion in 'Gameplay Discussion & Feedback' started by Loli Prophet, Sep 11, 2018.

Why did I spend my Pell Grant on a mmo that's never gonna get released

1. I'm really stupid

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. I'm reaaaaally stupid

6 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. Loli Prophet

Loli Prophet Artisan

2. Loli Prophet

Loli Prophet Artisan

Already expecting well the version of the game that's currently out isn't the final version so it's not what you paid for hahahaha

3. BowenTheKotoc

BowenTheKotoc Master

4. Loli Prophet

Loli Prophet Artisan

yea I'm not gonna pay any more to play the game I've shelled out well over 500 dollars on(between me and two other friends I bought stuff for), it's really ridiculous backers who met certain levels (or purchased certain things IE:Alpha/Beta passes) were not given this version of the game for free, even if I'm offered at this point it's an insult it wasn't given right off the bat as a code in my email

5. BowenTheKotoc

BowenTheKotoc Master

If you purchased alpha/beta for the MMO, I believe you should have received an invite to help beta test Exile.

6. Loli Prophet

Loli Prophet Artisan

Do those who have that beta participation also have the early access version of toa that is on steam (exiles)? That's what I'm referring to if I've already paid 500 some odd dollars bought lifetime membership alpha/beta access then why wouldn't I also have access to this version of the game I'm not spending more money to play it that's retarded

7. Elyssia

Elyssia Community Manager Staff Member

The team sympathizes with your frustration. We really wanted the MMO to reach its kickstarter goals so that we could begin work on that design right away and fulfill everyone's donation rewards as quickly as possible. Unfortunately the kickstarter did not succeed and we had no way to fund the development of a MMO. That is why we started work on ToA: Exile, a game that we could deliver with a small team without funding. It is NOT an alpha/beta of the MMO, but a fantasy survival game.

But we haven't forgotten you! We still want to make the MMO in the future and fulfill all the donation rewards. However, we must first make ToA: Exile a complete and successful game. We really appreciate our fans patience and support during this time and I hope you will continue to follow our development of ToA: Exile through it's Early Access phase. We're working on improvements and additions to it every day and we hope to have another build ready for our players in the near future.

BowenTheKotoc and Xalbenth like this.
  8. BazrakeArchdemon

BazrakeArchdemon Veteran

I feel you i honestly feel you.. Alot of us were a bit disappointed too.. Also the Price of 25$ did not help either.. and its left a Disgusting taste in my mouth.. Subnodica launched with 10$ in EA... Minecraft started at 5$... Sigh...

What woulda made Exile Special if all Alpha testers were compensated with a free game at least.. and the game shoulda costed 10$..

Yeah yeah yeah its the mmo argument going to pop up.. We still Donated Money to help with the game moving forward.. like your taking a book out of ubisoft here.. cant have some of the money.. reward your testers with a game until the mmo comes out.. no no you gotta charge for more.. All your doing is making the arguments against those that said your a scam only the more stronger FC... you royally screwed up..FC if you want a successful game start small work your way up not this oh alpha donators donated all there money we get nothing in return...

Siiiiiiigh...

[​IMG]

im still dreading..

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  9. Loli Prophet

Loli Prophet Artisan

You can claim it all you want but we all know money raised from us went towards exiles wether it was assets made for the mmo or tools bought to develop the mmo I'd bargin those are being used on exiles

10. Elyssia

We have reused the dragon concept art that was commissioned, but all the software licensing expired shortly after the kickstarter. The only resource that was used in both the demo and ToA: Exile is the raknar, which was purchased well before we opened the donation shop using the founders' personal funds. ToA: Exile was programmed from the ground up as a host-your-own game; while the demo was a great proof of concept for many of the game design elements, it did not lend itself well to what we wanted for ToA: Exile.

11. Fenguz

Fenguz Apprentice

I made an account just to answer you.

Although, knowing how the moderation team works around here works, I doubt that you’ll even read this before they delete it and ban this account…

It’s the option C; you are stupid, sorry.

However, allow me to explain you why, just in case you haven’t figure it out yet.

MMORPGs are the most expensive and hardest genre of video game to develop, Star Wars & Elder Scrolls for example costed around $200 Million just to develop, both games had insanely large experienced development teams and both of them despite having a huge fan-base from the get-go already, both of them (arguably) failed, as both were forced to drop the subscription-based models in order to keep it nicely profitable. It’s a huge risk nowadays to develop a MMORPG and it’s the reason why you don’t see as many new ones popping as you used to a few years ago… yet despite all that, people like you still tough it was a good idea to throw money at a crowdfunded MMO with a team that never even released a video game, that at the time, didn’t even had someone capable of codding… just what the hell were you thinking it would happen?

I mean, don’t get me wrong, I’ve been keeping an eye on this project, I condemn and despise a lot of what they have done, they bluntly mislead people while asking them for money and when shit hit the fan, they “archived” (fancy way to say they purged) the entire forum from all the content deemed negative, eck, even today, there are people pointing out in the steam reviews, that they have been banned and had their posts deleted for criticizing the game…. But let’s be honest here, you could had avoided all that by simply doing a quick research and using a little common sense before throwing your money around, if you are going to throw money at anyone around the internet that promises you something that sounds good, my friend, you are screwed, lock yourself from your own bank account.

Also, for those who still have hopes of this “MMORPG” version happening… it took them, what? 3 years if I’m not mistaken? To get what you see right now, does it have “potential”? Sure… pretty much the same can be said about any other early access game, however, it’s still pretty much just a shell of a video game, there is no real meat in it, thus why the few people who gave it a try, just grown bored of it in no time, I mean, besides pointless grinding, there ain’t much to do in it, is there? Plus, according to Steam Charts, the game right now has an average of 5 players online… assuming that some of those are usually members of the development team… that’s a little alarming, is it not? I’m guessing the server isn’t being hosted by someone’s personal computer, therefore someone must be paying for a dedicated host to keep it up, if that’s the case, it won’t be long till the project is in the red, if it ain’t already.

That said, I wouldn’t worry much about when this “MMORPG” version may come out, I would worry more about if this version will manage to drag itself long enough to get out of its “early access” phase.

Oh and yes, as people keep pointing out, the price tag is a joke… for that price you can buy Rocket League, 2 copies of Black Desert Online, Subnautica, Doom, Elder Scrolls Online… you guys are completely out of your minds.

12. Elyssia

Welcome to our community, Fenguz. We welcome feedback and even criticism, but that does not mean that the poster is exempt from our community guidelines. http://trialsofascension.com/forum/threads/community-guidelines-read-me.4937/ I have and will continue to remove posts that violate these guidelines in our forums, but as long as your posts follow them, they will not be removed.

Steam also has rules for behavior which we enforce as well on their provided forums. https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=4045-USHJ-3810

That aside, thank you for following our progress. We will continue to create new content and develop the game until we have added all the features we want, which you can see our preliminary list at http://trialsofascension.com/roadmap

13. Loli Prophet

Loli Prophet Artisan

I don't want to play the version on steam(exiles) if that's what you are thinking it looks quite bad. I'm just pointing out that it shows how very little they care about us if they don't think it should be given for free.

When I had put the money in to it I was just out of highschool so yea that was dumb no doubt. Atleast I did get a poster tho it is pretty dope.

14. Fenguz

Fenguz Apprentice

Yeah, I know those guidelines already, right on the first point you pretty much clear it up, you’ll delete any post and infract/ban any account that YOU deem to be “trolling” or “defaming”. May I remind you how many people you guys accused of being “trolls”, “naysayers” and whatsoever for simply pointing out how ridiculous it was for you going for a MMORPG as your first video game without even having a single person capable of programming in the team?

Regardless how offensive it may be, you should never, ever, delete user posts, ban them if you feel that is the most correct thing to do, but leave the reason why, the proof, there, otherwise people will simply jump into the conclusion that you are trying to hide something, plus, it promotes this “happy thoughts only” sort of bubble that is now costing you and you probably haven’t even noticed.

As I said, according to Steam Charts, it doesn’t seem that many people want to play it at all, especially not for the same price of a full decent title even from triple A games, I mean, why should I pay 20 euros to test a game on its barebones instead of just picking up something like Elder Scrolls Online? It makes no sense.

15. zlajo

zlajo Veteran

After playing ESO twice for free ( testing weekends), I refused to play it a third time for free. Let alone pay for it. For me it's an insult to the Elder scroll series.

I understand and agree with the OP. While the devs are formally correct, it kinda isn't in a supporter-dev related sense. People have donated a lot of money, and they could at least give the game for free to anyone who donated the games price or higher. Money in advance is much more worth and should deserve such an act. Or at least let the players with alpha/beta passes trade that code for ToA exile. TWOM even gave free codes to people that didn't have the money and would DL it from pirate bay.

I mean, from what i've seen following it well over many years, the devs lack good judgement on many things. FIrst on scope, multiple times they took too big of a bite then they could handle. They have no feel for good marketing. And finally, besides dreaming big, they didn't focus on the details enough. I predicted, warned and gave solutions to some of the short comings, which were disregarded in the end and they are now in the comments on steam under "not recommended". If they don't learn now from these mistakes, I'm not sure how far ToA will reach.

But, there is a big BUT. I gave my money knowing that it might never give me something in return ( physically or digitally). I gave money to support a dream that i wanted to support. So while i understand and even agree with the OP, i myself don't feel the need to be compensated. But that's just my personal opinion. So for me there is no real option on the poll.

I haven't bought the game for myself yet. Want to see some of the short comings get removed before doing so. Fighting must be smooth. Raknar, drake, i'll post that in a seperate comment.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018 at 1:58 AM
  16. Fenguz

Fenguz Apprentice

That’s not the point, like it or not, it’s still a finished game, with hours’ worth of content, getting regular content updates, made by a big, well-known and pretty decent company, and for some reason it costs as much as yet another survival game barely on its bare bones made by a group of people that never released a game before.

The “led-developers” have been improvising as they go since the very start, they are pretty clueless about what they are doing, I mean, their original plan was to ask 600,000$ to a bunch of random people in the Internet via Kickstarter, in order to hire real developers to develop them a bloody MMORPG for them… doesn’t that say enough?

If it was truly that simple, anyone of us could be a “game developer”;

Step 1) Beg for money.
    Step 2) Get the money?
    Step 3) Pay someone who actually knows what his doing.
    Step 4) ???
    Step 5) Profit! As a successful game developer!

Expect none of that is how the real world works, is it? It turns out that you either have put the money or the work on it. That’s pretty much why I believe that ToA: Exile won’t go anywhere either, because I don’t think they have learned this yet… right now they are fully dependent on what these “volunteers” are willingly to put on it, which makes me wonder, how long are these people to work for free, on someone else’s project, just by holding to the promise of a share of the profits? How many of these “volunteers” already came and went by at this point anyway?

It’s also the reason why development is going this slow… I dare to say that probably, Teddy accomplished more by himself during the months that they paid him for it, than what the volunteers managed in all these years… on the bright side, its still better than asking people for their money while completely misleading them.

17. Simaris

Simaris Apprentice

You don't know how volunteering works obviously... you support the project you like, not expecting anything in return but a good result you helped with. If any volunteer does the work because he expects share i would call him, honestly, an idiot.

And yes i may be a bit biased bc i recently volunteered myself. The reason why i do this? Bc. i believe i can help with my skills and i'd like to help and ofc bring own ideas into the project if possible. I have a regular job like all other volunteers as well (i suppose) so i really am not reliant on any money from it.

18. Fenguz

Fenguz Apprentice

… and you obviously missed the point of having the term under quotation marks, didn’t you?

That’s all really nice and well, personally I have no problems with it, honestly, I think it’s something that the developers should had done from the very start instead of Kickstarter attempts or fishy virtual shops. However, let’s not pretend it’s an efficient way to go trough a project like this, I mean, there is a reason why they started from zero after throwing away everything that their first developer accomplished, it’s pretty difficult to join half-way trough the development of something like this.

It’s funny though, anyone who expects to be paid for the work they are putting into a video game is an “idiot” according to you, however, the game is already in the Steam Store with a 20$ price-tag regardless of it being in it’s bare bones : )

19. Simaris

Simaris Apprentice

Volunteering as you called it includes not expecting financial rewards, else it would not be called volunteering.
    Maybe "high risk low reward bet" or "free time job" or some other alternative, but not volunteering.

Thats is, anyone who expect money from volunteering is mislead. if you assign for a job, you would expect payment, but then its not called volunteering. Whats wrong to sell a game that is fun already for some people and maybe get attention for the game. after all... if they wouldnt sell it in steam i would never been able to see it or even know it exists. Nothing wrong there.

20. Fenguz

Fenguz Apprentice

Jesus Christ, you still going on with that? Here, let me help you out…

…do you understand now?

I never said it was wrong to sell a game, regardless of it being fun or not.

I said it was ridiculous to attempt to sell a survival game on it’s bare bones, especially when you have no previous titles under the belt to vouch for you, at the same price, or even more expensive than video games such as Black Desert Online, Final Fantasy XIV Online, Dead By Daylight, Rocket League, Elder Scrolls Online, Subnautica, Doom…

Thus why it has an average player amount of 4.2 in the last 30 days, despite being “fun already”, and I wonder how many of those 4.2 are part of the development team.