Music Remasters

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Elegost, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Elegost

Elegost Artisan

*NEW*
    I don't play video games that often now but my work with music and software continues!
    I'm making this Thread as a request thread, but I may post things without request occasionally.
    The requests should be music from old or handheld games and such, as there is no point in trying to replicate a song that already has real instruments and good quality. I probably would do worse than the original.
    If a request is made I'll see about doing it as soon as I am able, and that time may vary.
    So, if you haven't found a You Tuber who did it way better than I could, ask me and I'll try it.

*ORIGINAL POST*
    I have messed around with music for about a year now, posting to my friends what I end up with.
    However, all of my old projects pale in comparison to what I am about to share.
    I feel like I have found the secret to a great audio remaster. No more static, no more odd sounds! (mostly)
    I ripped the midi from the game myself and began my remaster from there. I hope you enjoy it!
    I try to make my remaster sound as much like the original as possible with the same exact beats/tunes.
    There is a little bit of echo that I wish I could remove...but I might figure that out.
    (It's like the instruments are played in a large room.) EDIT-I somewhat fixed that.

This is the original track from the game for a comparison.

This is my remaster.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxrlgTDEHIYjMzUzejdtRDlRTkE/view?usp=sharing

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  2. Iauquai

Iauquai Veteran

Good Job! You cleaned that up very nicely :)

3. Elegost

Elegost Artisan

I think I'm going to be doing more of these, but first an explanation, and the reason my music projects always seem to be Pokemon related.
    Well, these Nintendo Hand-held games are unique in that their music consists of a music data file, and a instrument file.
    The music data file is basically a Midi, and the instrument file is what you would call a "sound font" thought it really isn't.
    When the game needs to read a music file, it is told to play it using it's associated DLS file to make the music.
    Many GameBoy and DS games use this method, and there is software that can rip the midi files from these games.
    I have a software that can rip the Midi, as well as the original instrument file, so I can listen to each individual instrument and decide what that instrument was supposed to be, and replace the original sound with one out of my own sound font collection.
    Sadly, my favorite Pokemon game of all time, Mystery Dungeon 2, uses a custom engine and I can only find the Midi.
    The instrument file isn't DLS, so I have to listen to the full original on YouTube and hope I can pick out the instruments by ear.
    (Simplified, the GameBoy and DS don't have pre-recorded music. It plays it on the fly.)

This is the result, though I'm not quite pleased with it. I think TGH did a fantastic job at the remasters he did a while back.
    I am open to critique, in fact I probably need it to improve my work.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxrlgTDEHIYjR0dFWklHTHdxbkk/view?usp=sharing

And this is the original for comparison. I wish I could just use a link instead of embedded...

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    Jeremy@AmidsTheLight likes this.
  4. RustyRisk

RustyRisk Journeyman

YAY! Pokemon GO... nah, I am just kidding. Awesome work on the remastered music, I was listening to it while doing my homework.

5. Elegost

Elegost Artisan

Jeremy@AmidsTheLight likes this.
  6. Elegost

Elegost Artisan

RustyRisk likes this.
  7. Elegost

Elegost Artisan

Elyssia likes this.
  8. Elegost

Elegost Artisan

9. Elegost

Elegost Artisan

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  10. Elegost

Elegost Artisan

This one took longer than usual, and I have been busy with other things but here is my newest remaster.
    This theme has had multiple versions, but I will be showing the one I went off of.
    The S.S. Anne was actually a Titanic reference in Pokemon. It was a giant luxury ship that was claimed to be unsinkable. It sank.

Original

Remaster
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxrlgTDEHIYjR3kxMFNaSXJfU3c/view?usp=sharing

(This one admittedly is rather ugly...oh well.)

11. Elegost

Elegost Artisan

12. Elegost

Elegost Artisan

This thread has been mega-updated with new links and much higher quality music.

13. Elegost

Elegost Artisan

14. Grune

Grune Artisan

Is this the kind of thing you're asking for?

15. Grune

Grune Artisan

Or more like

When you say remasters do you mean later re-imaginings of old ass video games, or what.

16. Elegost

Elegost Artisan

No...I was taking the music files from older Nintendo hand-held games and on the rare occasion a music file from another game.
    Also, I'm talking about taking the original music and playing it with much higher quality sounds, but remaining as true to the original as possible.
    A remix is different. Remixes are often modified in ways and the sounds used don't often sound like what the original would have sounded like with better sounds.

17. Iauquai

Iauquai Veteran

Considering Grunes usual good taste in music I think he might have been teasing you a little there.

18. Elegost

Elegost Artisan

I see. Well this thread is pretty much dead anyway. Lost a lot of stuff when my secondary drive decided to quit.
    That last bit where I updated all the links was right before it happened. I'll probably be using different software again next time.

Elyssia likes this.
  19. Iauquai

Iauquai Veteran

I mean all that in a light-hearted way. I actually think your work is quite good. I suspect there is a fair bit of work involved there.

Elyssia likes this.