Music Remasters Reboot

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Elegost, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Elegost

Elegost Artisan

MEGA-UPDATE

Full OST remaster of PMD2 Explorers of Sky is complete.
    Nearly 6 hours of music. I'm done with this thread now for a long time.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gVS4unKCmCcbI3KfPaqswzIqek00KC4_/view?usp=sharing

*NEW*
    Replacing most current music links soon. I have new software with better accuracy.
    They should be much better than before. Some will not be remade though. Lost a lot of files.

(The occasionally annoying high BRASS file was unfortunately a required sound)

Many old links are dead!

I'm making this Thread for remaster requests and my other projects I decide to share.
    The requests should be music from old handheld games and such, as there is no point in trying to replicate a track that already has real instruments and good quality. I probably would do worse than the original. If a request is made I'll see about doing it as soon as I am able, and that time may vary. So, if you haven't found a You Tuber who did it way better than I could, ask me and I'll try it.

First off, Pokemon Exploration Team Theme!

Original-

Remaster- *New*
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxrlgTDEHIYjN1dJRFdsUmVQRWc/view?usp=sharing

(For Nintendo-related remasters ownership belongs to them. I just try to remaster them as a guess to how they would sound on better hardware.)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017 at 6:31 PM
  2. Iauquai

Iauquai Veteran

Good Job! You cleaned that up very nicely :)

3. Elegost

Elegost Artisan

I think I'm going to be doing more of these, but first an explanation, the reason my music projects always seem to be Pokemon related.

Well, these Nintendo Hand-held games are unique in that their music consists of a music data file, and a instrument file.
    The music data file is basically a Midi, and the instrument file is what you would call a "sound font" though it is different in some ways.

When the game needs to read a music file, it is told to play it using it's associated DLS file to make the music.
    Many GameBoy and DS games use this method, and there is software that can rip the midi files from these games.

I have a software that can rip the Midi, as well as the original instrument file, so I can listen to each individual instrument and decide what that instrument was supposed to be, and replace the original sound with one out of my own sound font collection.
    Sadly, my favorite Pokemon game of all time, Mystery Dungeon 2, uses a custom engine and I can only find the Midi.

The instrument file isn't DLS, so I have to listen to the full original on YouTube and hope I can pick out the instruments by ear.
    (Simplified, the GameBoy and DS don't have pre-recorded music. It plays it on the fly.)

This is the result, though I'm not quite pleased with it. I think TGH did a fantastic job at the remasters he did a while back.
    I am open to critique, in fact I probably need it to improve my work.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    Jeremy@AmidsTheLight likes this.
  4. RustyRisk

RustyRisk Journeyman

YAY! Pokemon GO... nah, I am just kidding. Awesome work on the remastered music, I was listening to it while doing my homework.

5. Elegost

Elegost Artisan

Jeremy@AmidsTheLight likes this.
  6. Elegost

Elegost Artisan

RustyRisk likes this.
  7. Elegost

Elegost Artisan

This is the Arceus battle theme that was in an unreleased event for Platinum.

Here is the original-

My remaster- *Link Soon*

Elyssia likes this.
  8. Elegost

Elegost Artisan

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  9. Elegost

Elegost Artisan

10. Elegost

Elegost Artisan

11. Elegost

Elegost Artisan

12. Grune

Grune Veteran

Is this the kind of thing you're asking for?

13. Grune

Grune Veteran

Or more like

When you say remasters do you mean later re-imaginings of old ass video games, or what.

14. Elegost

Elegost Artisan

No, I was taking the music files from older Nintendo hand-held games and on the rare occasion a music file from another game.
    I'm talking about taking the original music and playing it with much higher quality sounds, but remaining as true to the original as possible.
    A remix is different. Remixes are often modified in ways and the sounds used don't often sound like what the original would have sounded like with better sounds.

15. Iauquai

Iauquai Veteran

Considering Grunes usual good taste in music I think he might have been teasing you a little there.

16. Elegost

Elegost Artisan

I see. Well this thread is pretty much dead anyway. Lost a lot of stuff when my secondary drive decided to quit.
    That last bit where I updated all the links was right before it happened. I'll probably be using different software again next time.

Elyssia likes this.
  17. Iauquai

Iauquai Veteran

I mean all that in a light-hearted way. I actually think your work is quite good. I suspect there is a fair bit of work involved there.

Elyssia likes this.
  18. Grune

Grune Veteran

Allow me to be clear: I was a little out of sorts when I looked at this thread the other night and thought that you were asking FOR remasters/remixes, Elegost. I am sorry if my extreme stupidity can be/has been taken as poking fun at your efforts, sir, namaste.

19. Iauquai

Iauquai Veteran

Well, it's nice to know that I was wrong about the teasing angle. :)

Well, to get back on track: I watched a 3 hour recorded live concert of The Tragically Hip and realized I still like their songs.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  20. Elegost

Elegost Artisan

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017