Is A Bloomery Supposed To Only Last For 2 Ingots?

Discussion in 'General Help' started by Dendrobium, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Dendrobium

Dendrobium Artisan

It took me a while to get up the clay to finally build a bloomery. I was able to make 2 ingots...and the bloomery wore out. Is it supposed to be that way? That is a ton of work for very little reward.

2. neoporter

neoporter Artisan

Yeah the bloomery is intended to last for only a few crafts. Although I agree that it is a little too much work currently, but I believe Brax said he had a possible solution to clay. So if we get an easy way to get clay it won't be too bad in my opinion.

Also making clay bricks gives smithing xp so you can get 9 stars in station usage from just clay bricks and that makes the bloomery last 4-5 crafts (can't remember which off the top of my head).

The last craft of a station always seems to fail so I would recommend only trying to make ingots after the first craft without stars in station usage and after the 4th craft with 9 stars.

3. Dendrobium

Dendrobium Artisan

If they add in a better way to get clay it wouldn't be nearly as bad then. It took me a while to get enough because of fails while making fired clay and the kind of low drop rate when punishing rocks (or my knuckles). I didn't mind diving for the clay from a previous patch. The biggest pain in the current system is having to make lots of drop off trips for stone blocks. I could stand the lower drop rate of clay if it wasn't for having to sort through the blocks, taking drop off strolls for blocks, ect.

I actually didn't have a fail in making the ingots. I made both on the first shot.

Danielle likes this.
  4. BowenTheKotoc

BowenTheKotoc Master

From what I understand, bloomeries are intended to be temporary stations to get what you need to make an actual forge, which is much sturdier.

Loestri likes this.
  5. Yagerau

Yagerau Apprentice

Should bug report that. My bloomery last craft failed too

6. Cogad

Cogad Artisan

I will say, with the latest build, the clay to build a bloomery was tolerable, but having it break after 2 ingots is not.

7. Methos

Methos Artisan

how much metal is needed to make a forge?

8. Yagerau

Yagerau Apprentice

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16ZuxI_U7mfbGu98wXWT2aK_2ySIpVUsSVfVbo6Xd9-U/edit?usp=sharing
    this will help. Danielle's spreadsheet. Basically no metal is needed but you need to have a trowel and a ..smithing hammer I think it was. Trowel blade from the bloomery and the hammer, maybe masonry hammer too. You need mortar which is from lime too, and honestly I might suggest building the smelter before the forge, because the forge is useless without ingots, and you'll burn thru your bloomery fast using it to make ingots.

9. Danielle

Danielle Journeyman

I don't think it's a bug for a craft being made on a workstation that is destroyed halfway through to fail.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  10. Methos

Methos Artisan

11. BazrakeArchdemon

BazrakeArchdemon Veteran

I feel ya.. a real bloomery lasts a verrry long time..

12. Brax

Brax CoFounder / Creative Director Staff Member

No, no it doesn't.