1. Welcome to the Trials of Ascension: Exile forums. Due to spam and troll issues all first time posts are moderated so if your post does not show up immediately, this is normal. Please allow some time for your post to be verified to determine that it is not spam, possibly up to 24 hours. If your post has not shown up after 24 hours please send a personal message to our Community Manager, Elyssia.

Headless Server? [solved]

Discussion in 'General Help' started by TheSzerdi, Oct 30, 2018.

1. TheSzerdi

TheSzerdi Apprentice

I have a Dell R900 that I use to host games for my friends. It does not have a graphics card and one cannot be easily installed. Is it possible to host a dedicated server without that GUI startup screen?

2. TheSzerdi

TheSzerdi Apprentice

So I found some other help and got the server up and running on my server box, but now I can't connect to it. Everyone else can, but not me. Is there a launch option to connect to a network server?

3. Elyssia

Elyssia Community Manager Staff Member

When you have the server running, do you see it on the server selection screen, but cannot connect? Or can you not see it at all?

4. TheSzerdi

TheSzerdi Apprentice

I see it and try to join and it says "Unable to connect to the server. Please try again later."

5. TheSzerdi

TheSzerdi Apprentice

Initially I ran the server by copying the files from my gaming rig to the headless server. Then I tried buying another copy for the server and downloading it through SteamCMD. Then I tried logging into the server's account on my gaming rig to initialize the server and create the database and put up a whole new server that should only be associated with the server's account.

Finally my friend and I solved it:

Since the server is headless and without a graphics card I couldn't initialize the dedicated game server on it. I copied the game files to a 3rd computer and initialized the server there and then transferred the files to the headless box and now my gaming rig can connect. Apparently when I initialized the server on my gaming rig, even with the server's steam account, it incorporated my hardware id or something into the game server and wouldn't let me connect when it was running on a different machine. That's my theory anwyay.

Elyssia likes this.
  6. TheSzerdi

TheSzerdi Apprentice

Server database files will be generated in C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\LocalLow\Forged Chaos\Exile folder. To launch the server on a headless box with no graphics card create a .bat file with only this in it:
    Code:
    Exile.exe --server -batchmode -nographics --autostart

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    Elyssia likes this.
  7. Elyssia

Elyssia Community Manager Staff Member

Wonderful follow up! Thank you for sharing so that future server hosts will have this solution if they run into the same issue.

TheSzerdi likes this.