Dev Blog #61

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Elyssia, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Elyssia

Elyssia Community Manager Staff Member

2. Bruxail

Bruxail Master

Nice progress. Just a question. Why would Raknar care about gaps, or walls for that matter, can't they just climb over them? Are we able to make domed cities? :)

3. Brax

Brax CoFounder / Creative Director Staff Member

To be honest, I'm still undecided if raknar can climb walls or not. I know such a restriction might seem silly since they are able to go inverted on cave walls and such, but walls are meant to help keep the humans safe and if raknar can climb them and dragons can fly over them (age permitting), they're really only good for keeping out other humans.

One idea we threw around was raknar could climb walls unless they were coated with an oil or some other slippery substance but I'm not sure how I feel about that.

I'd love to hear your or anyone's thoughts on the matter!

4. Elegost

Elegost Artisan

How about Raknar being able to climb all except the top-tier walls?
    Make the high quality stone walls too smooth for them to climb, while wooden walls and lesser quality stone are textured/pitted to be climbable?

Brax likes this.
  5. Loestri

Loestri CoFounder / Project Manager Staff Member

I like your line of thought.

6. Iauquai

Iauquai Veteran

I think it would be good to be able to oil a wall to prevent Raknars from climbing up them. Maybe better stoneworker skills will allow to make stone walls that are too smooth to climb (as Elegost suggests). I think that having a oiled wall would make it more vulnerable to fire attacks from a Fire Dragon or a Human, so that would be a tricky decision.

Brax likes this.
  7. Bruxail

Bruxail Master

Going off of Elegost, we could oil the lesser tier walls and not have to worry about oiling the higher tier walls. So, all walls can keep them out just some need more care than others to keep them out.

Brax likes this.
  8. Mata

Mata Journeyman

Spikes seems like an easy solution to the raknars climbing walls to me. I always liked the contrast between Raknars and dragons: You are vulnerable to raknars if you go outside, and you're vulnerable to dragons if you stay inside (e.g, don't actively hunt them to prevent them from becoming a problem)

Very solid dev blog this sprint, keep up the good work!

Vahrokh and Brax like this.
  9. Iauquai

Iauquai Veteran

For the terrain problem, I have seen programmers talk about this problem before. I recall that it's done by treating each edge as a data set of points in 3-space so you have two sets, then for each point you look for the two nearest neighbors and make a polygon there, once this is done a temporary data set is used to keep track of how many polygons a point is in, if it is in two already then it cannot be used again, this prevents too many polygons being created (some exceptions may be required if there are holes left.) Once that is done it may be necessary to do terrain smoothing to prevent an odd look, also texture matching could be an issue and even stretching or knitting two textures together to get that consistent look. Not simple in other words, for small caves you would probably do it manually with an editor, but for large procedurally generated cave systems, some sort of programmatic solution will be necessary.

10. BazrakeArchdemon

BazrakeArchdemon Artisan

Heres an idea brax take Minecraft example of spiders having glass like structure at the very top of the wall also its rl based as glass and any other property that spiders can't grapple on and so they slide off it. If humans make it the top part of there wall glassed based raknar cant climb and humans can be safe hows that for a special wall idea? You could make it into tiers that want let certain aged spiders in aka let certain age groups from coming in the human base example starting glass tier 1 wont let baby spiders in while tier 2 wont let the next age group in and 3rd tier wont let the bigger spiders in.. Its only when the spider is fully baddassry aka final stage that humans will need glassed infused crystal or what ever to keep the spider out.. Just ideas so spiders can keep there wall climbing :) up vote me if you like this idea!

Bruxail and Iauquai like this.
  11. Iauquai

Iauquai Veteran

12. Bruxail

Bruxail Master

Not a bad idea. Sounds like something that could be close to the top of the scale for tiered walls. Make them hardened for the highest tier. Makes sense to me.

13. BazrakeArchdemon

BazrakeArchdemon Artisan

glad you like it.. there no need to cut out spider pig climbing :p

14. Kaoshae

Kaoshae Artisan

My vote goes to the barbed-wire strategy, though in this case it should probably come in the form of overhanging spikes of some sort.

15. Loestri

Loestri CoFounder / Project Manager Staff Member

I was leaning that way myself . . . sort of like large inverted fish hooks that mounted to the top of the wall. It would "catch" the raknar and prevent them from climbing further because of the large arch in the hook. Great item to add to blacksmithing skill tree. Any other ideas out there? This is great discussion!

16. BazrakeArchdemon

BazrakeArchdemon Artisan

You could use the glass panels for early on too

17. eroszabi

eroszabi Artisan

Kinda looking at it wrong. Raknar need to be able to clime walls because then humans could just wall of everything and make walled off roads and never be touched. What you do is make the climbing process slower the higher teirs of walls. Wood walls normal speed, rough stone walls or just tone in general have it slower and make it so that if they are hit it slows them down more or it makes them.drop if the hit was hard enough

18. BazrakeArchdemon

BazrakeArchdemon Artisan

Were discussing when humans make a city... you gotta balance it out... the glass idea would be a swell idea think of reaL life.. spiders have a very hard time climbing on windows so.. thats the idea :p

19. Iauquai

Iauquai Veteran

I suppose another option is to put torches all around the walls so that they have to set themselves on fire to get over the wall... Assuming they would want to walk blind into a wall of light.

Bruxail likes this.
  20. Bruxail

Bruxail Master

I really like this idea. It adds another item to craft as well, a support structure for torches on top of a wall. Awesome idea.