Dev Blog #50

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Elyssia, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Elyssia

Elyssia Community Manager Staff Member

2. BazrakeArchdemon

BazrakeArchdemon Artisan

Very interesting... Also hello been a looong while still Im sleeping but one eye is peeking and to watch..

Jeremy@AmidsTheLight and Elyssia like this.
  3. Elegost

Elegost Artisan

I thought it was difficult to upgrade an Engine mid or post development? I know it's just an update so that might not apply here.
    I always imagined the combat system to be similar to Dark Souls once it is 100% fleshed out. Hope you add rolling back! :D

4. Kaoshae

Kaoshae Artisan

Usually when an engine or framework is upgraded, it will have the old pieces marked as "deprecated" and suggest new functions that replace the old ones.

This allows programs developed on the old engine/framework to still function properly, and will add warnings during compile time so that the developer knows what needs to be migrated to the newer API calls.

The idea is that eventually deprecated code will be removed from the engine/framework in future updates, but the developers still have a chance to migrate fairly painlessly.

5. Iauquai

Iauquai Veteran

Human corpses will naturally float unless weighed down by something. And, even if weighed down, they will bloat as they decay giving added buoyancy... I'm not sure what rating of grisly death we are going for though.

6. BowenTheKotoc

BowenTheKotoc Master

SaberTusk looks great. Can you design a building with no internal walls at first and add them later, or does the design/blueprint thing have to be complete before construction can begin? What are the details on the new combat system? Why you gotta withhold my dragons? Surely you have some detail shots or something you can tease us with. :p Speaking of teasing, what is the deal with this mystery feature???

Bruxail likes this.
  7. Elyssia

Elyssia Community Manager Staff Member

As of right now, internal walls are part of the design process and cannot be added later.

More updates for the dragons will come soon, I promise! As will updates on the combat system once we have them hammered out.

I would love to tell you about the mystery feature, but then it wouldn't be a mystery anymore! ;)

BowenTheKotoc likes this.
  8. Mata

Mata Journeyman

Amazing progress as always!

Elyssia likes this.
  9. Methos

Methos Artisan

Looks good.. but the boar is missing his attributes.. though you may not want it that life like..lol

Elyssia likes this.
  10. Iauquai

Iauquai Veteran

Are you referring to his nuts and bolt? Maybe they are all female, who knows...

Elyssia likes this.
  11. Jeremy@AmidsTheLight

Jeremy@AmidsTheLight Artisan

"Life finds a way." :woot:... :facepalm:(Sorry I couldn't resist.)

Thank you again for keeping us updated with minute details in each Developer Log. They make me feel like I'm right there with you on the journey.

Did someone say Dark Souls? No I won't keep going on about how to me that's one of the few true games (videogames) where role-playing IS hard wired into the fabric of the adventure. ... Too late :p! Besides that aspect of DkS yes I too felt the combat was near perfect (cheap twinks aside) for what it is. There was a learning curve, and if you spent enough time doing it you would improve. Each step when playing against a seasoned player felt like a game of chess. I never really expected ToA or any MMO to reach this level anytime soon, however I liked to imagine a world where characters are defined by a certain playstyle. I want to feel like I AM that character in eveyway. Not that I think FC should mimic an already popular/unique dungeon crawler.

My hope for ToA was always for something that feels real. Real in the sense that someone is defined by their lifestyle more than appearances (not against drastically unique avatars either). Is DkS the new standard when it comes to combat? Their system does feel like it has weight to each action and it requires mastery in learning how to handle weapons/magic/timing/frame manipulation. How can one improve on this? More realism? Possibly. Although, I think there is something to opening up options for players. This would would inherently require more animations. With all of the heightened reality in gaming that is based on 'looking cool', we need more games that bring back the novelty of standing out in more real types of circumstances. If someone does take on more than one opponent it shouldn't be because they know how to take advantage of lag or are a higher level. It should because of the drive one conjures from within to stand out. (I'm trying to work in the end of film The Man from Nowhere scenario, but I can't find the right way to explain it.)

The Innovations System to me always felt like this was heading in the right direction. This would not only be a force in combat to create a living and breathing world, but it has the potential to animate all types of lifestyles within ToA, like the way we focus our attentions in real life. This has been put on hold still, correct? Sorry I'm sure this has been addressed numerous times already. Just wondering if there are any thoughts about it (besides the obvious "would take too much time and resources" thought process). I want to play ToA as much as the next person.

#IVoteBodiesFloat - it's more :eek: that way.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    Bruxail, Elyssia and BowenTheKotoc like this.
  12. Brax

Brax CoFounder / Creative Director Staff Member

Well worded, Jeremy. Innovations are on hold as of now, but the feature will be given top priority (and design and implementation resources) when the time is right.

I've always intended innovations to be a signature feature of ToA, and I haven't changed my mind on that in any way. ;)

13. Jeremy@AmidsTheLight

Jeremy@AmidsTheLight Artisan

More like "well wordy" :D. Getting to the point has never been my forte.

Thanks for the response, Brax. That's great to hear.

achilles2511, Elyssia and Brax like this.