Anti Cheat Program

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BazrakeArchdemon, Mar 9, 2017.

1. BazrakeArchdemon

BazrakeArchdemon Artisan

Any ideas to combat cheaters? Like a program that scans all the files and if its a file it Dont recognize it bans the player? And you need to appeal on the site in a banned section? Just wanna hear your thoughts and the thoughts of the Dev's to combat this example seeing name plates and seeing nuggets aimbots etc etc etc... So let me hear your thought's.

2. Elegost

Elegost Artisan

Whatever anti-cheat method they use, it better not be or be like Battleye or I will refuse to play this game on any server that requires it.
    Those types of anti-cheat are shady as heck.

3. Elyssia

Elyssia Community Manager Staff Member

What do you not like about it?

4. CTheRain

CTheRain Artisan

Been playing ARK for a long time and never really had any trouble with Battle Eye.

5. Elegost

Elegost Artisan

Have you seen their privacy policy? Have you seen the complaints and reviews of what this thing does and what it could potentially do?
    It has full access to your computer's RAM and Hard-Drive and can snag information along with your IP-Address and other info, sending it to their master server all with the intent of "finding hacks". I simply cannot trust a system like this. Only a reputable anti-virus should be able to do that. It does this in the background and you have no idea what it's doing at any given time. It's shady, and I am not alone in this complaint.
    "BattlEye may scan the entire memory, and any game-related and system-related files and folders on the hard-disk and report results to the connected game server for the sole purpose of detecting cheats." People who don't know too much about Battleye may think it's just a normal in-game embedded anti-cheat when in reality this thing could spy on your entire computer.

Besides, I have never cheated in a online game in any way. Heck, I don't really play online games at all besides private ARK matches and the occasional revisit to WoW. I planned to delve into this game when it was released and role-play and all that but if it has Battleye...

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  6. Iauquai

Iauquai Veteran

Authoritative Server is the way to secure the game. That can make the game a littler more laggy but I still think it is the best way to make the game more secure. Anti-cheating programs are much easier to hack and they tend to make things worse for good people, so I don't think they are a good idea. For securing code they just have to make sure that the components cannot crash if they get wrong inputs. (There are many other things that people try, but most of them are relatively useless.)

7. Elyssia

Elyssia Community Manager Staff Member

We have been exploring a variety of anti-cheat alternatives, so this discussion has the attention of the team.

8. BazrakeArchdemon

BazrakeArchdemon Artisan

Havent said anybody has, but Id rather not be located due to someone useing a nametag locator or something else entirely... World of warships got hacked into as well and you can land hot on ships 100% by clicking on the + mark infront of the ship and Citadel it wot even have cheaters cheating the game without useing the mod folders.. so you tell me.. At most yes i hear you being scanned and all that but if you have nothing to hide why act all crazy about it? I just want is a game that relies on your skill and your eyeball not a program that mimics finding nuggets fungons, loot and find you out in the middle of the forest... Im looking at you minecraft... Xray bullturds...And bots.. looking at you Everquest...

So as long as a program kicks out unfair play please by all means use it..

9. Riddley

Riddley Artisan

To be honest... Early in development for a game, none of that will matter even if they do exist. The game is fairly niche as it is. Cheats get made either because someone got bored, or they got paid. I think the latter is less irrelevent as there needs to be a significant amount of money involved to get a professional to do that. People who do it for fun dont usually distribute what they create either.

All that aside, Authoritive servers is probably the best way to go if you are worried about it. Client side mods are rather hard to deal with, as you'll end up playing wack a mole with them.

Beyond that, more from a programmers perspective... Sanitize all the fields. Trust absolutely nothing the client sends.

achilles2511, Elyssia and Elegost like this.
  10. Mata

Mata Journeyman

the lowest but most common cheats accomplished via Unity are usually ones that can be easily combated with code-securing plugins, so that people can't change the code of the game with injectors and other such engines. I don't mind Battleye, as they're obviously not going to do anything malicious with my information, and I have nothing to hide from them anyway. Though, the program sometimes.. 'overreacts' to completely unrelated things and can crash you at the worst possible times...